Sunday, May 28, 2006

Outing

Ugh, my pc is driving me up the wall! There's something wrong with it, but being the computer non-whizz that I am, I really can't help it "get well" in the slightest way. Anyhow, my dear "lao-gong" William, has called up Singnet because he said it's the modem going bonkers. So meanwhile, we're using our old modem, which thankfully wasn't thrown away when we first got that "super-duper" new one. I've not been able to upload pictures onto my blog since then, so I hope whatever help that was coming would really, well, help.

On Monday, I had brought Joseph to the library nearest our home. He was ecstatic on this first visit! No, not over the myriad of books he can get his hands on. He was merely hopping with joy (literally) to be able to roam free around the reading tables, between towering bookshelves, and over vacant floor spaces. I don't really mind, as he did not scream or shout, or cause any disturbance to others while checking out the joint. He did settle down eventually, for me to be able to read a short story (softly) to him. Then a small group of primary school pupils came to our little corner and Joseph decided to join them at their table instead. He squeezed himself between two of the students and grinned happily at them. Their initial surprise quickly turned into welcoming smiles and curious looks. One of them made a funny remark which set off the rest giggling, and Joseph unabashedly laughed along as though he knew what the joke was about; which made them laugh all the more, oh dear, what a din there was!

This Wednesday 24 May was my 3rd wedding anniversary. William took leave from work and we brought Joseph to Marina South Park. Joseph had a ball of a time there, as he alternated between running at top speed and strolling. Joseph seemed to enjoy the sea breeze when we got near the water. There was a tense moment during our outing though, when a stray dog wandered to where we were, in the middle of the park. It was a full grown female dog (I'm avoiding the "b" word because it will sound vulgar, in whichever way you try to say it). This she-dog looked in our direction as she advanced towards us, but her gaze lingered on Joseph.

I'm thinking, okay, so this dog must be familiar with adult human beings, but perhaps a toddler-sized moving thing is entirely new to her. Might she be eyeing Joseph as (~gasp~) a tasty morsel for dinner?!! Call me paranoid or whatever, I'm not about to stand idle and see if she's really gonna bite Joseph, as this she-dog boldly paced nearer and nearer. While we walked on, she continued to stalk us, and so, suddenly I turned around, faced this dog, bared my teeth and roared at it. I know it sounded like a silly thing to do, but it seemed to work, that dog slunk away and did not return. In any case, I did not plan to do that, it just sort of... happened.

I don't know if William was more surprised or amused by what I did, he just kept saying there wasn't a thing to worry about, wasn't he (a fit guy, who regularly trained) with us, that dog would never have had a chance to cause Joseph any harm. I just shrugged and said my mean roar did scared off that dog. That was when William laughed...

We later brought Joseph to the bowling alley. Being a weekday, it was quite empty except for two occupied lanes. William, on the spur of the moment, decided to play a game too, so Joseph and myself settled down to cheer him on. I was glad that Joseph did not run wild in that place, and I guess the credit should go to a friend we had brought along, Mr Cane. With Mr Cane out of the backpack and within sight, Joseph was constantly reminded of "its" presence, and displayed model behaviour. He kept within the vicinity of our lane and even clapped for Daddy when the pins went down. After each throw, Joseph would move quickly to where the bowling ball would pop back up again and eagerly held out his little hands in an attempt to lift it up. It was quite funny to see him do that repeatedly, and I was almost sorry to go when William's game ended because I had a good time there too.

Lord Jesus, as You know, Joseph is going back to school next month. I pray for Your divine protection over Joseph, and that You strengthen his health. I pray that he will adjust to the routine and learn many new things there. I pray Your favour to surround Joseph, and Your constant presence would give him shalom peace. I thank You for Your love and care towards Joseph. No evil shall befall him, no harm shall come to him, in Jesus' mighty name, amen!


1 Comments:

Blogger Joshua Whom Jesus Dearly loves said...

Hi Joseph,
Enjoy yr school..though there r many new things, god is with u so ....stay cool, have fun n enjoy !

29/5/06 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home