Sunday, March 05, 2006

Many Things To Learn



After three days' orientation, I have my bearings somewhat. First of all, it was not what I thought it would be. I had imagined Joseph getting into the swing of things quite immediately, following the teachers around and picking up cues from his little fellow citizens, i.e. they jump, he jumps, they sing, he sings. The truth proved to be otherwise.

He cried off and on during the first two days, his eyes roamed the room constantly, looking for a familiar figure that would be me. Instead of throwing his whole self into the activities, he threw a few tantrums, both gentle and loud types. He shunned sitting on the floor with his friends, preferring instead to plonk himself on my lap while the teacher did story-telling, nursery rhymes, or the like.

I was slightly comforted to see that there were three other newly-enrolled children behaving in much the same manner. All displayed the same apprehension and uncertainty, wrought in a strange new surrounding. Yay, Joseph wasn't the one who cried loudest and longest! Ha ha!

Another observation I made was that the children "misbehaved" in the same way too. At home, I was often vexed by Joseph's "bad" habits: throwing items like toys onto the floor, pushing my (tea)trolley around or even playing with the empty laundry basket. Anything (whatever shape or size) within his grasp will almost certainly end up being an object for him to test out the principle of gravity followed by noise and bounce.

I had disciplined Joseph severely before, at times hitting him in my attempt to stop this misdemeanour. Many friends told me that all toddlers like to throw things and are curious to touch every item within reach. I had supposed that they were just patronising me, they were only attempting to make me feel better, therefore I was convinced that Joseph was exceptionally "mischievous" in this area and so prompt punishment had to be meted out.

Thus began my first guilt trip when I saw similar habits, played many times over before my very eyes. As though prompted by some unseen orchestrating hands, these toddlers all knew their part by heart. A high-arm throw here, a quick chew on a piece of toy there. Do the "ignore adult's voice" act and continue exploring those forbidden items on these beckoning shelves by the wall.

Alright, alright, I already realised I had been too harsh with Joseph. I apologised to him, and purposed within myself that I would stop being a too-strict disciplinarian. Lord Jesus, help me be a gracious parent, amen.

Anyway, on the third day, the teachers encouraged this little group of hawk-like parents to stop hovering over our precious tot. Give the children a chance to blend in. Okay, I can do that. No problem. What we need to do is just stay out of sight. Tell our children that we are coming back later and do not let them lay eyes on us, while we peep at them from behind a glass window or book cupboard. Surprise, surprise! This brilliant move clearly illustrated the old saying: out of sight, out of mind. Our children could actually survive without us being in the same room with them! The teachers were also able to coax more cooperation out of these children with their parents conveniently out of the way...

Okay, I've got to learn to stop fussing over Joseph, and let him grow. I just bought him a drinking cup (with straw) because he was the only child still drinking water from his bottle with teat, while others were already using ordinary cups (without an attached straw). Most of the toddlers could self-feed, but Joseph is now not able to hold his spoon properly yet. See how a doting mum can hinder her own child's progress! Yes, I was still spoon-feeding Joseph, but now I'm starting to train him to self-feed at home too.

There are many more things for me to learn and discover, but no condemnation shall abide in me. Thank You, Lord, for Your patience and faithfulness to me. I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. Hallelujah!

4 Comments:

Blogger Vacationist said...

Enjoy this learning journey together with Joseph.

7/3/06 9:21 AM  
Blogger dorcas said...

thanks eileen! look forward to reading some updates in your blog...

8/3/06 3:10 PM  
Blogger dorcas said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

22/4/06 11:59 AM  
Blogger dorcas said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

22/4/06 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home